Tuesday, July 5, 2011

England Day 22: Walking in Edinburgh

Pictures from Scotland HERE!

I definitely had the best sleep of my life on Saturday. I was so exhausted from the night before that I just slept through the night until my alarm went off at 9. It was so nice be able to be well rested for the long day ahead. Sunday we decided to get up around 9 and head over to the Elephant House. The Elephant House is a little coffee shop where J.K. Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book!!! She was seen writing in the shop before the first book came out. After the first book came out, she didn't really come back because everyone knew who she was after that and she couldn't get any work done. It was so cool to see the table she sat at and pictures on the walls of her in the coffee shop.










The bathroom of the Elephant House was also covered in little notes to J.K. Rowling. It was cool to see how much she inspired people and how much she was loved. The bathroom also had a toilet seat that had Harry Potter characters all over it. It was quite interesting. lol.










After the Elephant House we decided to walk the Royal Mile. The Royal Mile is a street in Edinburgh with all the major attractions. We started at the top where the Edinburgh Castle is. We didn't go inside the castle because we didn't want to spend more money on the trip so we just took pictures from outside.










When we were done taking pictures, we headed down the mile to all the shops. We stopped in a few shops and bought souvenirs before making our way to the end of the Royal Mile. At the end, there was the Palace of Holyrood House. It was not open to the public because there was a Royal visit! I wonder if the queen was there. Or maybe William and Kate! I don't know. I wish I could of seen who was there. lol.










After that we walked back up the mile and headed toward New Edinburgh. By this time, I was starting to get a little cranky. I may have been a bit snippy with people and such. We had been walking a LONG time and going into a lot of stores and I just didn't have the money to spend so it was a lot of shopping I didn't want to do. But after I got some lunch in me I was a little better. I just felt bad because I was not in the mood to shop and it felt like we were walking into the same stores because there were so many souvenir shops and they wanted to go in every one. lol. But I was fine.

We saw a little of New Edinburgh before heading to the train station to catch our trains home. I did a lot of postcard writing since it was a 6 hour trip and it was definitely nice to sit after walking for so long. We caught all our train this time and were able to make it home around 11. I didn't get a chance to get my blogs up, which is why they are late, but I got all the pictures. We got back and went to bed so we could get a good nights sleep for the Fourth or July!

Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment