Friday, July 15, 2011

England Day 32: Despereaux strikes again

Wednesday was crazy day. When we got to work, we reminded the maintenance guy that we had a mouse problem and he had a guy come out and set traps in the morning for us. It was definitely a relief to know the traps would be up. After a fun blitz and skit, we went to our clubs. I had to run craft club by myself but it was the best day for them! They were making Harry Potter board games. I was so impressed with the group. I helped them start but they took off and made awesome games. At the beginning, it was a lot of "I want to add this to the game," but by the end it was "What do you think we should add?" They learned teamwork and cooperation. I had the hugest smile on my face the rest of the morning because I was so proud of the group and what they had done.

After clubs we had lunch and break before heading to rotating activities. I was in the gym playing a game called streets and alleys. The first two groups were terrible. They would not listen when I gave instructions and some didn't want to play because they couldn't understand the game. I made them sit on the bleachers for the last 5 minutes and had a talk with them. I was really upset that they were not listening and being disrespectful. I talked about how they needed to try new things and not complain if it was a game they didn't like because it could be someone elses favorite game. I told them they had to try playing and they might like it. I also told them that the counselors are trying to play new games with them so that they will try new things because they think the games are fun and know they would enjoy it and that when they talk during instructions, it makes it hard for everyone to hear how to play and makes us sad that they don't want to learn new things. I think it helped get my point across. The third group was really good though and had a lot of fun with it, which made things better.

After rotating activities, we had free play in room 3. I got to hang out with a little boy, K will be his name for now. K tends to be a little bit of a trouble maker but I think he can be so stinking cute sometimes. I wanted to try to get through to him and try to figure out why he acts like he does. He can be so nice sometimes and give hugs and want to play nicely. K came up to me with a book and we sat for an hour playing this I Spy book. He was so excite about it and kept making me find new object that he would find on the page. It was adorable. Then he went and played with the moon sand and was so nice to kids that came up and wanted play. He shared his moon sand and helped kids make fun shapes. Total turn around from the past few weeks. You just have to get to know him and sit with him a while.

During closing, I had him come up and sing a song because he had been so good that day. I just think if we give enough positive reinforcement that he'll hopefully see that by being good, good things will happen. I think he really enjoy standing with the counselors and singing. He always tries to hide his smiles and looks away when he starts to smile. It's so stinking cute! lol.

After closing, we headed home. When we got back, we walked in and it smelled terrible. We figured it was the trash and took that out. Maryanne went to grab a bag from under the sink and then realized there was a mouse trap with a mouse in it! We were all freaking out and not willing to touch it. But Maryanne, who we should now call Papa Bear, put some gloves on and took care of it. She's such a brave girl! :)

We were so realized that the mouse was gone. That mouse was freaking us out. Everyone went about their own business, skyping and facebooking while I was in the day room by myself. While I was sitting there, I saw something out of the corner of my eyes. Right under one of the lounge chair was a little mouse about 3 inches long coming out and running back under chair. I did not like that at all. This little thing was brave. He's now known as Despereaux. He would come out about a foot, stop, stare at me, and then when I moved, would run back under. He did it like 10 times! It freaked me out!

Then Maryanne walked in as I was staring at him and when I told her she was freaking out. Then everyone else came in and I told them. While we were all sitting there, this little mouse came out like 5 more times before finally running under the door into the hall! NOT COOL! We went out to see where he went and decided we needed shoes on. Two of the girls put on HEELS and the rest of us put on tennis shoes. It was definitely a site. lol. We went back towards the day room and Carlie walked into the kitchen only to scream and run out as the mouse ran across the floor. It would definitely be a site to see girls in 5 inch heels screaming and running from a 3 inch mouse. So funny.

We definitely kept an eye out for the rest of the day and then headed to bed. The day was definitely eventful and pretty funny. :)

Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment