Monday, July 11, 2011

England Day 28: Sights of London

Saturday was a marvelous day! We woke up around 7 to get ready for the day of sightseeing. We called a taxi to take us to the station and go to the Tower of London to meet Carlie and her parents.The Tower of London was a beautiful castle! We got to go inside and tour around the old castle and she lots of history.










We started by walking around in the torture area. There were a few contraptions that were used to torture people. One was called the Scavenger's Daughter. The person was folded into three and placed in this contraption and squeezed. It looked really painfully.










There was also one where people were tied at the wrists and ankles and stretched apart. I would not like either of those.












After the torture part, we walked along the top of the outside walls and learned about where the king's stayed and different armor used in battle. We then walked down into the center where we got to see the crown jewels! (Below is a picture of me standing in front of the building with Brittany, our group leader). I was bummed I couldn't take pictures but it was definitely a sight to see. We got to see plaques of all the kings and queens that have been in reign and see history and video on some of the crownings. We also got to see a lot of the jewels that have been worn by royalty. We saw the biggest diamond in the world on the sceptre of a king. and we saw beautiful crown and plates made of gold. It was truly amazing! I loved it all! :)












We stopped for lunch at a cafe inside the castle grounds before going on with our tour. We then toured the White Tower which stands in the middle of the castle grounds. It had a lot of neat armor and swords. Lots of history but I was tired at that point so I didn't read a lot of it.










After touring the Tower of London, we hopped on the tube to check out Westminster Abbey. I was so pumped to see this because that's where the Royal Couple was married! So exciting!!! We went on a tour of the church and saw where a lot of kings and queens were buried. We also got to see different memorials and statues. It was incredible. I couldn't believe I was standing in Westminster Abbey. It was so cool! We also got to stay for an Evensong service! SO INCREDIBLE! The choir was made of all boys and they were awesome. It reminded me of hearing my brother when he was in boys choir. The service beautiful. I loved it.












After the service we walked around and took some pictures of Big Ben before heading to the tube back to Marble Arch. We went out to dinner at a Burger Place and did a little shopping. We then walked down to Piccadilly Square where it was said to be like New York City, Times Square. It definitely was like that. Lots of people, huge crowds, tons of shops. It was neat but not my cup of tea. Crowds make me anxious and I tend to get cranky and annoyed with everyone walking around me. If people could hear the things I say in my head when walking those streets. I get so mad at the people walking on the street that all of a sudden STOP right in front of you. I just want to punch them in the face. It drives me crazy!!! And the people that walk by and run into you or that are walking towards you and see you there and still plow into you. So annoying!












After walking around Piccadilly, we were going to go sit at a pub but since we had an early morning and had another early morning on Sunday, we decided to head back. It definitely was a good plan because all of our feet hurt from walking around so much and we were exhausted. We made it onto the train and tube and caught a taxi back to the hotel. The day was definitely amazing and Sunday would be even better.

Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment