Tuesday, July 5, 2011

England Day 21: 12 hour bus trip

Saturday was an amazing day! We had to get up pretty early but we were well rested from the night before so it was no big deal. We left the hostel around 730 so we would be there on time for the bus trip around Scotland. When we arrived, we had to get on different buses because we had to be on the bus by first names that we booked under. All of us had booked our tickets separately so four of us were on one bus and two girls were on a different bus. Definitely a bummer since we wanted to all be on the same bus but it was a good trip.

We got to go all over Scotland on our 12 hour bus trip. The bus driver we had was hilarious! He was always cracking jokes and made the whole trip so much fun. He told us a lot of the history of the lands and show us where different movies were filmed. He was just a funny guy! We started the tour in Edinburgh, which is the capital of Scotland, and headed north west. We got to see tons of amazing landscapes and scenery. We got to see where some scenes from Braveheart were filmed. Below is a picture of a monument that was in the movie.









There was also a spot where we got to see the castle that was in the Monty Python movie. It was definitely really to see, as seen below.










We got to stop along the way and take pictures at beautiful pictures spots. We stopped at the three sister mountain and Glencoe. Took a lot of great pictures there.











We also got to see where they filmed scenes from Harry Potter. In the picture below, you can see a line of dark green pine trees and a clearing right in them. That is where they built the set for Hagrids house! Quite amazing to see!!!









We stopped at lunch in a little town and I got my first fish in chips in England. It was pretty good. I don't really like fish but it wasn't half bad. We did a little shopping and then got back on the bus to head to Loch Ness.

We got to Loch Ness and were able to see castle ruins right next to Loch Ness. It was really cool and we got a lot of neat pictures. We then went across Loch Ness in a ferry and heard a little history on the lake and the monster. Our bus driver believes that there is more than one sea creature in the Loch Ness. That would be pretty scary.










After Loch Ness we hopped back on the bus to head south again toward or starting point. The girls and I took some cat naps because it had been a long morning. I woke up whenever he started talking again so I could hear about the lands because I didn't want to miss out on anything.

We made a few more stops along the way before making it back to Edinburgh. We got off the bus and headed to our hostel to change and go out for dinner. We went out to an Italian restaurant and Carlie and I split a pizza. It was really delicious! After dinner we decided to walk around the town a little and find a nice pub to have a drink before heading back for bed. We found a nice little pub and grabbed a drink. While we were sitting around and talking, I was passing out! It had been such a long day that I couldn't even keep my eyes open. I was falling asleep at the table. But during that time, there was a group of girls having a bachelorette party next to us and they were about to go on a scavenger hunt. When they got up to leave, one of the team came over to our table and a lady started to tickle me. It definitely woke me up and scared me a little. But they told me what it was for and our group just laughed it off. They then sang Your are my Sunshine to us before heading off to finish the rest of their tasks. Quite an interesting night.

After the pub we headed back to the hostel where I almost passed out in my clothes on my bed. I had to wake myself up to change and then crawled in bed and was out. I was exhausted. But it was and amazing day and I had a great time on the bus seeing all of Scotland!

Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment