Friday, July 15, 2011

England Day 34: Relaxing Friday with the girls

Today was a good day, although it didn't feel like a Friday. The week just flew by and I still felt like it should be the middle of the week. We had a fun time with our blitz songs and I couldn't help laughing during one of the songs. The kids were up on their feet and in our face for one of the songs. It was so cute and they were so into it. Loved it!

After blitz, we had clubs. I was in craft club again and we were going to make castles. They were fun and easy to put together and the kids enjoyed it. We then got the game boards back on for them to play with and finish. One of the boards was a preteeners and he realized right away that someone had drawn on his board. There were pictures in the middle of his board and he got so upset. I seriously wanted to cry. Those kids had worked so hard and for someone to just come up and draw on it after all the hard work broke my heart. I promised to address the problem during lunch to inform kids of the hard work that was put into it. He made a new one but he definitely didn't like it as much as the first one. He had spent 3 days on the it and then had to remake it in one. So depressing.

After clubs, we had lunch. When the kids had washed their hands and sat down, I addressed the problem. I told the kids that in craft club, the kids had worked really hard on making game boards and that one of the boards had been drawn on by someone other than the creator. I told them it really upset him and all his hard work was gone now. I asked them to please remember that when things are not theirs, they need to leave it alone and not mess with it. If they want to help, they need to ask permission. I then asked if they would want someone to ruin something they worked hard on and they of course said no. So I reminded them not to touch things that aren't theirs. I almost had tears in the middle of it because I just though about how well they had worked together on Wednesday and all the hard work. I was so upset for them and hoped I got my point across. The counselors said I did a good job at addressing the problem without outing anyone for ruining it or trying to get kids to fess up. I just wanted to make it known that if it's not yours, don't touch it. I hope it doesn't happen again.

After that, we had a yummy lunch and then I read books to a few kids. We went on break and worked on bucket fillers for the kids. When that was over, we had rotating activities. I got to work with the kids on making crests about themselves. It was divided into four parts and the kids got to draw pictures about things that were important to them or their favorite things. They definitely turned out really well and the kids had a fun time with them. They all wanted to show them to me when they were done and I learned a lot about all the kids.

When rotating activities were over, we had snack and then movie day. We watched Muppets from Space, which always reminds me of my brother and I when we were little because we loved watching that movie. We watched the movie and then I got stuff ready for cream the counselor. We had closing where the craft club presented their game boards and oragami, the Quidditch Club showed off their brooms and uniforms, and the counselor in training club performed a blitz and skit. They club were so awesome this week and the kids had lots of fun. After that, we had cream the counselor. I picked K to cream this week because he was so awesome and I wanted him to feel like all this good behavior does pay off and that good behavior makes others smile. He, of course, choose me to cream which I expected but it was worth it to see his face. He had so much fun and loved it. :)

When we got back into the room after closing, we finished the movie and they had another one after that. K's mom showed up and he told her all about creaming and we told her why he got to. She was so proud of him and we could tell that K was happy and proud of his behavior. His mom was so excited to be getting so many good notes and comments about K throughout the the week. Things were hard at home, she said and hearing all the goods things made it all so much better.

After closing, we headed home for a nice relaxing Friday at home. We decided not to go to London right away because we needed the sleep and wanted to relax. We came home, made dinner, and then put in Harry Potter. We only have 2 more movies to watch. The girls are getting caught up which is good. We definitely had a nice day and I was able to get caught up on blogs which is good. We are going to London tomorrow and seeing more of the lovely city. I will definitely keep up on my blogs when I get back. It sucks to write 3 in a day. So many details and I always feel like I forget something. But can't wait for the weekend and definitely have to go pack and get to bed. Can't wait for London again!

Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment